sabato 27 gennaio 2024

More experiments with Youloop + HF LNA

 I have just bought on the web a rotating stand-display for the Youloop, with a remote control.

It's quite an improvement while using the youloop, since I do not need anymore to stand from the chair to rotate the loop. I paid it 26 euros.

After getting the "rotor" and after putting the loop into a ridging plastic pipe, I decided to paint it with a solid army-green spray paint, it provides all the thing with a nice "rugged" aspect. I have been working with this set up quite a lot from MW to SW.

It's coupled wih a HF LNA working with a rechargable battery pack of 3 Amp, this way it feeds the Airspy HF+. I have noticed that the HF LNA on some bands brings in FM broadcasting noise, no issue: I still have a notch filter for FM band which I bought for few euros on the web. With this all the spurious signals from FM broadcasting have disappeared.

Here the notch filter connected to the HF LNA, the brand is not visible but the label just says: "Band reject 88-108 MHz"


However: what is surprising me, which is the reason to make this post, is the deep null of the Loop on every band ad the ability it has to reduce man made noise from neighbours.


Here the effect of rotation showing null and noise reduction on WRMI 9395 kHz eralier this morning (around 8 UTC):



Beaming the loop NW - SE the reception is stunningly clear with a SNR of 38, having the noise floor lowered down to -95dBFS


Beaming the loop E-W, WRMI signal gets burried in the noise with a SNR of 25, the noise floor rises to - 75 dBFS.

This Youloop is is becoming more and more interesting. One just needs to give it more attention and a chance. The LNA helps a lot.





Nessun commento:

Posta un commento